Founded in 1908 by Harold B. Mulligan, Mulligan Funeral Home became synonymous with caring compassionate service to all those in need. Over the years, Harold B. Mulligan became known not only for his business accomplishments, but also his humanitarian deeds. Presidential commendations for his care of veterans who lost their lives in the line of service, the founding of the Philadelphia Home for the Blind and the founding of the "Happy Times Club" which provided hot lunch meals daily to local children were all part of Mr. Mulligan's legacy.
Licensed as a Funeral Director in 1996, T.J. Fluehr follows a family tradition of service to the Philadelphia area. Joseph C. Fluehr, Sr., T.J.’s grandfather, was one of the founders of Poquessing Corporation, which grew to become the largest in the residential real estate market in Philadelphia. As far as the Funeral Business, T.J.’s father as well as many cousins have been serving Philadelphia as Funeral Directors for decades.
After completing his undergraduate studies (BA Business, Loyola University in Maryland), T.J. attended the John A. Gupton College in Nashville Tennessee to gain a certificate in Funeral Science. Along with the necessary studies to pass the state and national board exams, Gupton College offered one of the most advanced embalming and restorative art programs in the country.
In 1998, T.J. stepped in to be the supervisor of Mulligan Funeral Home and after a few years became the owner. In December of 2016, after many years of contemplating the change, the name of the funeral home was changed to the T.J. Fluehr Funeral Home and Cremation Service. This change is an opportunity to bring a greater awareness to T.J’s personal involvement in the local community while at the same time committing to the foundation of service that was set more than 100 years ago.
In today's fast paced world of corporate consolidation. T.J. continues to operate one of Philadelphia's oldest and most well-known independently owned and operated Funeral Homes